Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Proudest Achievement? Simple: My Book.


In 2006, after about a year's research and writing, I self-published my first book, Nuts, Bolts & Anecdotes: Journalists Discuss Interviewing & Note Taking in Their Own Words. It's subtitled, A Handbook for Journalists and Students of Journalism and Media Writing.


I'm proud to note that the 170-page paperback was successfully peer-reviewed by the English faculty at Daemen College in Amherst, New York (near Buffalo), where I teach media-writing courses and serve as faculty advisor to the student newspaper.


Nuts, Bolts & Anecdotes was a labor of love. It's always fascinated me how different journalists go about the "mechanics" -- the before the story efforts -- involved in gathering information. It's a part of journalism the public seldom thinks, or even cares, about -- yet it's so crucial to good reporting.


I've written countless news stories, feature stories, sell sheets, brochures, radio & TV commercials, websites, newsletters and more, but writing my book has been the highlight of my career to date. It's my magnum opus, even if it wasn't exactly a best-seller. A not very good snap shot of it appears above.


Please see the rest of my site for a wide range of writing samples -- from the light-hearted to the rather serious, from the ridiculous to the sublime! All-around, I think it's pretty good stuff. Hope you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment